Sulphuric acid is a very strong acid and in aqueous solution it ionizes completely to form hydronium ions and hydrogen sulfate ions. Concentrated sulphuric acid is also a strong dehydrating agent, combining violetly with water.
- Synonyms : Oil of vitriol, hydrogen sulfate, Dihydrogen sulfate, mattling acid.
- Molecular Formula : H2O4S
- Average mass : 98.078
- Monoisotopic mass : 97.967377 Da
- ChemSpider ID : 1086
- PubChem CID : 1118
- Appearance : Colorless to dark brown, oily, colorless liquid.
- Specific Gravity : 1.830 @ 25°C
- In fertilizer manufacturing , oil refining, wastewater processing.
- Used in domestic acidic drain cleaners
- As an electrolyte in lead acid batteries.
- In chemical industry and chemical synthesis.
- Corrosive strong mineral acid.
- Diprotic acid.
- Having strong oxiding properties.
- Hygroscopic in nature.